Serious Eats Roundup
Happy New Year! We hope your holiday was as food-filled and fun as ours. Lots of stories to tell, but for for now, here's a little roundup of what the two of us have written over on Serious Eats.
"Dinner Tonight" Column
Quick meals to your table five days a week.
- Spicy Spaghetti with Fennel and Herbs
A "deconstructed" Italian sausage pasta, which has Nick raving about fiery chilis and a "crucial porky edge" thanks to bacon.
- Beef Stroganoff
The classic dish with a sour cream sauce and egg noodles, made in a remarkably short time.
- Sweet and Spicy Chicken Curry
After rich holiday fare, the spicy and citrus-y flavors of a curry are a welcome relief.
- Seared Pork Chops with Kimchi
"Kimchi can do no wrong." Enough said.
- Shallow-Poached Salmon
An argument for gently poaching fish, which turns out a "marvelous and simple" result.
- Sunchoke Soup with Lemon and Saffron
- Discovering a vegetable called "sunchokes" though also called "Jerusalem artichokes."
Standing Room Only
A column about the best of Chicago's restaurants--with no seats.
- Jeni's Ice Cream
A brief hiatus in Columbus, Ohio from the usual Chicago fare, Jeni's ice cream is perhaps the best in the country.
- Scratchell's Beef and Pizza
- Though the pizza, fries, and Chicago-style hot dog are just average, the Italian beef at this South Side stand--"gluttonous and messy, fiery from the hot peppers, and impossibly tender--may be the best in the city of Chicago.
Blog Comments powered by Disqus.